Saturday, March 5, 2011

Quiet Saturday

It was a lovely warmish day today and a pleasure to be at the shelter working with Luke. There was an off site adoption event today so I had my pick of quiet places to take Luke. I decided on the coveted evaluation room. There is a nice comfy couch and I had a plan. Well, you know what they say about plans.....
My plan was to bring the Mat into the eval room. I had my Through A Dog's Ear music to play. A new chewie for Luke and my book. The plan was I would put the music on softly in the background, Luke would lay on his mat chewing his new bone and I would sit and read. Ha!
Luke had other ideas.
Teaching a dog is tricky business. Whenever something doesn't go as planned you always have to look at what you did or didn't do. It is never the dog. Ever.
I know the first mistake I made. I shouldn't have changed rooms on Luke. He was just beginning to understand the idea of settling in the exam room. I too readily jumped at the opportunity to use the eval room, not thinking that Luke wasn't ready to change environments. It's okay. He enjoyed himself as always, chomping on a tennis ball he found. Dogs are always happy and ready to go with the flow. It is we humans that get caught up in the process and the plan. I am learning every day. Hmmm, maybe I should change the name of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment