Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Luke was Adopted!

Yes, it is true. Saturday I was at the shelter and Luke and I were sitting on a bench in the parking lot. There was a very nice young couple there looking at some of the dogs. The man came over to me to meet Luke and we spoke a bit. They then visited with a little beagle and Luke and I went to sit in the gazebo. Consequently they came by the gazebo and sat down with Luke and I. We spoke for about 1/2 hour about shelter dogs, dog behavior and briefly some of the things I had been working on with Luke. They both seemed very eager to learn and had obviously done some research prior to visiting the shelter. I liked them, but counseled them that Luke wouldn't necessarily be an "easy" dog. They left saying they would have a lot to think about. Later that afternoon I got a call from a shelter employee telling me that Luke was adopted by that nice young couple! REALLY???? I had so many things to tell them, teach them, give them! I called them right away and extended my help to them, gave them some pointers and told them to call me no matter what. Big sigh.
I called them the next day (Sunday) and they told me Luke was doing really well so far. Okay good, but there is that honeymoon period......
I will be going to visit them in their home tomorrow. I will be bringing Luke his MAT along with some instructions on what I had taught him so far and how they could continue.
I hesitate to take on another project dog quite yet. I am afraid I will jinx things ;) I will do everything in my power to make this adoption work. Luke deserves this chance. I only hope this nice young couple is up for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment