Tuesday, April 12, 2011

We Have Contact!

Today was very exciting. Our normal routine was thrown off a bit. The dogs were being treated for heartworm and fleas today so everyone was being rotated through the clinic. When I got to the shelter Luke had just been seen. I took him out first and he was wired for sound! I just love this dog, so smart and ready to work. If you don't stay two steps ahead of him he will let you know! I tried to go to the next level in "mine/take it" but he wasn't ready. The next step is treat held between two fingers, way too tempting. That's okay, we went to the step below that where he was successful and worked there. He is just an awesome dog. Love his intelligence.
Romin is where we made great strides today. When I went to get him from his run he already had a tennis ball in his run. I guess when he went for his treatment they gave him a ball as a reward. Well we changed things up a bit and went straight to the exam room to work rather than the pen. What was exciting about today was that even though Romin had the tennis ball in the room he was able to leave it and focus on me and he actually became operant and began targeting the mat even with the ball sitting right on it! That is big progress for Mr. Romin. When we went outside and worked for a bit in the gazebo he had a tennis ball in his mouth. I asked him for a drop and he did it for a c/t. We were able to leave the gazebo without the ball in his mouth. Another big step for him and I am so proud !!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment