Thursday, April 7, 2011

Double duty

I worked with both dogs today. That doesn't always happen as some days I just run out of time.
Luke was up first. Today was clinic day so we had no indoor time. It was a little damp and raw out but Luke didn't mind. We went into the pen to burn off some steam and decided to play a game of tug. Luke enjoyed it immensely, but he got very excited at one point and I was able to calm him right down. He does have a tendency to get over the top, but our impulse control work is helping him learn how to temper that. It is important for shelter dogs to have an "off" switch. Because their environment is over stimulating on a daily basis they often lose the ability to turn it off. Exercises such as "mine/take it" and "settle" will help in this area.
Romin had some fun with his beloved tennis balls today. I used two balls to play with Romin. I would throw one and when he returned and dropped that ball I would click and throw the next one. We did that successfully for several rounds til it was apparent the he was getting tired. We then went to sit on a bench for quiet time. I took the mat out of my car and Romin lay down and happily chewed on his tennis ball. We worked a bit on "mine" where I present my treat filled hand saying "mine" and he backs off, c/t. He is coming along nicely with this and is also starting to respond nicely to the clicker, looking at me with lots of tail wagging. He really is such a sweet boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment