Sunday, February 27, 2011

Our Journey Begins

WELCOME TO MY LATEST VENTURE.....
To introduce myself, I have been a volunteer in the dog walking program at the SPCA of Westchester for the past 6 years. I am a certified training partner with the Karen Pryor Academy. I am a positive reinforcement (R+) trainer using the clicker as a method of communication in my training.
With my new found knowledge I have decided to take on a resident dog at the shelter to work with, my pygmalion if you will, my Eliza Doolittle. My blog address is dogs learning to learn. I prefer to use the term learning as opposed to training because I believe that dog training is what we DO to dogs. Learning is what the dog acquires. I am all about helping the dogs to learn how to learn and giving them the knowledge to navigate our world.
I always knew that I would return to the shelter. It is where my heart is. There are so many good dogs waiting to be given a chance. Sometimes all they need is a little help, guidance and belief in their goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment